Metropolitan Open School (MOS) is a small, non-profit, private, non-sectarian school directed by faculty and parents.
Founded in 1972, MOS provides a non-traditional approach to education for kindergarten through junior high students that allows
them to reach their highest achievement levels.
Through a comprehensive, integrated approach to learning, we develop students' innovative critical thinking skills and their
sense of social responsibility. We believe in educating the whole child.
Our diverse student population has come from all over the Twin Cities area. MOS offers reduced tuition to all families that
qualify for this support.
- Small classes of a maximum of eight students to one teacher that allow for individual and small group instruction in an
interactive, supportive, personalized environment
- A full academic curriculum for K-Jr. High with emphasis on reading, writing, math, science, social studies, art, music,
French, and physical education
- Teachers who believe that the foundation for learning is the caring, trusting relationship between student and teacher
- An environment that nurtures curiosity, creativity, cooperation, and responsibility
- On-going assessment of each student's strengths and needs to assist teachers, students, and parents in working together
to ensure that students reach their full potential
- An emphasis on social skills that nurture each student's self-esteem and foster kindness and respect toward others
- A commitment to our students' health and fitness through activities that aid skill development, self-confidence and teamwork
- An appreciation of the arts and sciences through visiting museums and nature centers, and attending concerts and plays
during weekly field trips
- Opportunities for parents to be fully involved in their child's education
- Daily recess
- Regular P.E., dance, and art classes